Omid Memarian

Friday, December 28, 2007

"Why I'm returning to Pakistan?"

Benazir Bhutto's post before returning to Pakistan in September 2007 on HuffingtonPost is fascinating. She describes her destiny in this way: "I didn't choose this life. It chose me." It was the most tragic thing that could happen for Bhutoo's family while his father and two of her brothers embraced the same fate. Read the rest of her post here:
"My stay in New York wasn't exactly the family vacation I had planned, but it was a critical period of weeks that could very well determine the future of Pakistan. I long ago realized that my personal life was to be subjugated to my political responsibilities. When my democratically elected father, Prime Minister Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto was arrested in 1977 and subsequently murdered, the mantle of leadership of the Pakistan Peoples Party, our nation's largest, nationwide grassroots political structure, was suddenly thrust upon me. It was not the life I planned, but it is the life I have. My husband and children accept and understand that my political responsibilities to the people of Pakistan come first, as painful as that personally is to all of us. I would like to be planning my son's move to his first year at college later this month, but instead I am planning my return to Pakistan and my party's parliamentary election campaign.

I didn't choose this life. It chose me."

Making a Martyr of Bhutto, Aryn Baker's story for Time Magazine. Aryn is a UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism's alumni.

1 Comments:

At 9:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone can see why your basic everyday, ill-bred, US Native, has no clue. The fact that there are virtually no comments on Omid's blog is evidence enough.
Some people in this world have a heart and a soul. Omid received Human Rights Watch's highest honor in 2005 the Human Rights Defender Award for his courageous work as a human rights activist. Omid Memarian was a visiting scholar at UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism from 2005-2006 and is currently a Peace Fellow at the Journalism School. He also is a fabulous writer. Stay out of Walmart, turn off your Tee Vee and read something you fucking morons.

I love your work Omid.
Sincerely,
Replanted California Man.
Barefoot Bay, FL.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home