Omid Memarian

Friday, October 12, 2007

Run, Gore, Run!
From Oslo to Washington?


Among the articles and commentaries which are published during last few days about Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize, I like the one by Chris Hitchens. His argument is pretty fresh and to the point:
"I am occasionally asked why it is that so many Europeans display reflexive anti-Americanism, and I force myself to choose from a salad of possible answers. One of these is the resentment that I can remember feeling myself when I lived in England in the 1970s: the sheer brute fact that American voters who knew nothing about Europe (and cared less) could pick a president who had more clout than any of our elected prime ministers could exert. America could change our economic climate by means of the Federal Reserve, could use bases in Britain to forward its policies in Asia or the Middle East, and all the rest of it. Americans could also choose a complete crook like Richard Nixon, or a complete moron like Jimmy Carter, and we still had to watch our local politicians genuflect to the so-called Atlantic alliance." (Continue....)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home